Friday, March 28, 2008

DVI-I Dual Link to HDMI?

Customer Question - "Hello. I'm trying to connect my LCD HDTV to my computer, so that I can use the TV as my monitor. The problem I'm having is figuring out what kind of cable I need. I know I need the HDMI to go into my TV, but I can't seem to find a cable that has DVI-I Dual Link on the other end. Do I need to link or is that optional? I'm kind of confused . I'm using DVD-I Dual Link going into my computer now from my LCD monitor." This is a very common customer question. While it may seem quite confusing the answer is rather simple. When the video card manufacturers produce video cards they want to make sure the video card will work with as many displays as possible. Since there are such a wide variety of displays availble now days most video cards ship with a DVI-I connection. This DVI-I (intergrated both analog and digital) connection will allow you to connect a analog SVGA (with adapter) or analog DVI-A cable to the port to support most analog monitor types. The DVI-I connection also allows you connect digital devices using the DVI-d cable or HDMI (with adapter). The DVI-D to HDMI connection is always a single link connection. So while you may have a DVI-I connector on the video you really need a DVI-D Single link to HDMI or DVI-D Cable to connect your pc to your HDTV via a HDMI or DVI port.

No comments: